Subject: More fun with audio CD's
From: Julian Coleman <>
List: current-users
Date: 08/30/1999 19:26:26
A while ago (March), I wrote about a problem that I was having playing audio
CD's using the CDIOCPLAYTRACKS ioctl (some drives would sulk when asked to
set four audio channels).  I've recently bought a Sparc 20 with a Sun CD :

  cd0 at scsibus0 targ 6 lun 0: <TOSHIBA, XM-4101TASUNSLCD, 1755> SCSI2 5/cdrom removable

When trying to play audio with this drive, cd_scsibus_set_mode() causes the
drive to lock up the SCSI bus and I get a succession of timeouts before I can
access any devices.  If I comment out the 2 calls to cd_scsibus_set_mode()
(in cd_scsibus_set_pa_immed() and cd_scsibus_setvol(), the drive will happily
play CD's.  I'd guess there is something odd about either the drive or our
SCSI audio handling that is causing this.  Any ideas?

                         Of course it runs NetBSD