Subject: ELF slower than A_OUT?
To: BSD Current Users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Gandhi woulda smacked you <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/29/1999 12:38:28
Thanks to the 8/20 snapshot I am now running one system under ELF and
the other under A_OUT.  The emulation is fantastic -- all my old a.out
stuff works.

However, I am kind of dismayed at the speed difference here, and I can
draw but one of two conclusions: i) the file command has changed drastically
since 1.4-release; or ii) ELF loading is slower than A_OUT loading.

starwolf is my a.out system (not yet upgraded) and defender is my ELF
system (the guinea pig, if you will).

starwolf 13: time file /etc/passwd
/etc/passwd: English Text

real	0m1.081s
user	0m0.476s
sys	0m0.225s

defender 15: time file /etc/passwd
/etc/passwd: ASCII text

real	0m6.992s
user	0m2.063s
sys	0m1.702s

Overall, I am seeing higher load-and-execute times on my ELF system
than on my a.out system, though this is by far the most drastic example
I've found.

Can someone explain this, and can it be fixed?

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: The power to Connect