Subject: Re: is ANYONE running multiple vga cards right now.
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/27/1999 14:19:45
On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Todd Whitesel wrote:
> Yes, text mode so I can replace 6 wyse terminals and a terminal server with
> one NetBSD box packed full of VGA cards and a bunch of monitors+keyboards.

Maybe y'all already know this, and maybe it doesn't have anything to do
with the problem at hand, but I thought I'd mention it :) I've got a
Matrox Millennium (the original one) which supports a dual (or more)
headed setup under Windows NT. The documentation says that the "disable
VGA" switch on the card must be turned on for all cards except one. I've
never tried it myself, but I get the impression that only the card with
VGA enabled card will be capable of text mode; the others will be
capable of graphics only. That might just be a limitation of their
driver though :) I also seem to remember reading that newer, fancier
cards will automatically disable their "VGA parts" if they detect
that another VGA card is in the machine.

Also, isn't VGA's video RAM always at 0xa0000? I even see that address
hardcoded in sys/dev/ic/vga.c. Makes it sound like it might be pretty
tough getting multiple cards running in text mode :(
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 23 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++