Subject: Re: USB modem
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/17/1999 15:37:09
On Tue, Aug 17, 1999 at 10:38:58AM -0700, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:
> David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com> writes:
> > 	Maybe it _should_ conflict with the pty namespace (in that we
> > 	should probably leave ttyU available for possible pty expansion)
>
> They already have:
>
> pqrstuvwxyzPQRST
>
> if we want more than 256 of them, there are many things that we should
> probably change first.  (including putting them in a subdir. of /dev.)

I disagree.  Of course we need to change quite a few things to have more
ptys, but even if we put them in a subdirectory the way SVR4/Solaris do,
the name clash is a problem.  Why don't we just reserve UVWXYZ for them
and leave it at that -- anything else seems likely to lead to
confusion...

Isn't there plenty of space below 'p' anyhow?