Subject: Re: Tracking GENERIC...
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 08/17/1999 13:48:04
On Mon, Aug 16, 1999 at 08:20:33PM -0500, Peter Seebach wrote:

> So, is there any good way to track the changes to GENERIC?  For instance, if I
> have my laptop mostly running -current, is there any plausible way for me to
> arrange to get new changes (e.g., new filesystems) added to my config file,
> without having to redo all my changes?

Someone pointed out a cool method to me a while back... Make a copy of GENERIC
and call it GENERIC.PETER or something. When something changes in GENERIC,
you'll see it with 'diff -c GENERIC GENERIC.PETER', after which you can make
the specific change to add the change to your custom kernel. (Don't forget to
then copy GENERIC to GENERIC.PETER.)

--
    Mason Loring Bliss  mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us  They also surf who
awake ? sleep : dream;  http://acheron.ne.mediaone.net  only stand on waves.