Subject: help with compiling emacs & mysql
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 08/14/1999 19:00:58
Folks,
        I have upgraded to current in my i386 box which means that I
have survived the great a.out -> elf transition without too many
scars.  No I have been beavering away recompiling things that, in some
cases, haven't been recompiled since NetBSD 0.9 days (or before...).
Mostly this has been a case of doing a configure & recompile but I
have not been able to get the following to go:

1) mysql-3.22.25 chokes in the mysys directory - it is trying to link
against libpthread and coming up with all sorts of unresolved
symbols.  The unfortunate bit is that nm says the symbols ld is
complaining about are defined in the library (I can see a T for them)

2) Emacs chokes during the link:

gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/emacs-20.4/lwlib'
gcc -nostartfiles    `echo -R/usr/X11R6/lib  | sed -e
's/-R/-Wl,-rpath,/'`                   -L/usr/X11R6/lib       -o
temacs ecrt0.o  dispnew.o frame.o scroll.o xdisp.o xmenu.o window.o
  charset.o coding.o category.o ccl.o     cm.o term.o xfaces.o xterm.o
xfns.o xselect.o xrdb.o fontset.o  emacs.o keyboard.o macros.o
keymap.o sysdep.o   buffer.o filelock.o insdel.o marker.o intervals.o
textprop.o    minibuf.o fileio.o dired.o filemode.o   cmds.o casetab.o
casefiddle.o indent.o search.o regex.o undo.o  alloc.o data.o doc.o
editfns.o callint.o        eval.o floatfns.o fns.o print.o lread.o
    abbrev.o syntax.o unexec.o  mocklisp.o bytecode.o       process.o
callproc.o    region-cache.o  doprnt.o strftime.o       tparam.o
lastfile.o gmalloc.o ralloc.o vm-limit.o  widget.o
../lwlib/liblw.a -L/usr/X11R6/lib    -lXaw -lXmu  -lXt -lSM -lICE
-lXext -lX11          -ltermcap       `gcc -print-libgcc-file-name`
-lm  -lc  `gcc -print-libgcc-file-name`
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXaw.so: warning: tmpnam() possibly used unsafely,
use mkstemp() or mkdtemp()
callproc.o: In function `Fcall_process_region':
/usr/local/src/emacs-20.4/src/callproc.c:859: warning: mktemp()
possibly used unsafely, use mkstemp() or mkdtemp()
/usr/bin/ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol __start; defaulting to
0804d3c8
/usr/lib/libc.so: undefined reference to `__progname'

Now, I did copy unexec_elf.c to unexec.c to get to this point - I
don't know if I should have or not but the unexec.c that was there was
for a.out and we don't do that any more....

Lastly, anyone got any tips on making a ufs cdrom?  I just tried and
came up with a coaster :-(  What I did was create the image file like
this:

dd if=/dev/zero of=x11r6.bin count=716800
vnconfig vnd0 x11r6.bin
disklabel  -Rr /dev/vnd0d /tmp/tmp_label  (tmp_label is just a copy of
                                           the dummy in kernel label)
newfs -o space vnd0d
mount /dev/vn0a /mnt
cd X11R6
tar cf - . | (cd /mnt && tar xBpf - )
umount /mnt
fsck -f /dev/rvnd0a (this came up with a clean fs...)
cdrecord -v speed=8 dev=/dev/rcd0d x11r6.bin (this had no problems)

Now when I try and mount the fs I get:

bash-2.03# mount -o ro /dev/cd0d /mnt
mount_ffs: /dev/cd0d on /mnt: incorrect super block

If I fsck it I get:

bash-2.03# fsck /dev/rcd0d
fsck: vfstype `ISO9660' on partition `/dev/rcd0d' is not supported

WHAT WHAT WHAT? This is ufs not iso.

Clearly I have done something wrong but I cannot see what it is.