Subject: Re: delete and backspace...
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/13/1999 15:46:09
In message <Pine.GSO.4.10.9908132130020.23987-100000@uxb.liv.ac.uk>, Roger Broo
ks writes:
>On Fri, 13 Aug 1999, Peter Seebach wrote:
>>So, I've noticed that on my -current laptop, on the console, I get
>>0x7f from the "backspace" key, and 0x1b 0x5b 0x33 0x7e from the "delete"
>>key.  The latter is <esc>[3~.

>>Why?  What did I do to deserve this?

>Because it's correct for a VT2xx/3xx/4xx emulation.  Although the 3 of the 6
>edit keys on a PC keyboard are marked differently from a DEC keyboard
>(Remove, Find & Select), most emulations map the same escape sequences to
>them.  And if someone is going to use such an emulation to log in to
>some system which reuires those keys, they'd better be there (or the poor
>bloody user will end up having to type the escape sequences in by hand!).

I guess that makes sense, although I'd assume the "correct" solution would
be to build a terminal emulator for that.

>About the only part of the Windoze user interface that I like is having
>the [<-] key delete backwards and the Delete key delete forwards.  Why
>would you want two adjacent keys to generate DEL and BS?

Because that's what they're labeled?
Because, for each of those outputs, there exists at least one program
which uses it, exclusively, to delete characters, so I need a way to generate
both?  :)

>And if you use EMACS on the console you don't want the [<-] key to generate
>Backspace!

I'm told they've fixed this in "recent" emacs so that if erase is stty'd
to ^H, they trust your judgement in a non-X environment, because you
presumably meant it.

Anyway, is this a tweakable setting?  I'd probably prefer the keys generate
the codes they're labeled as.

-s