Subject: Re: delete and backspace...
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Roger Brooks <R.S.Brooks@liverpool.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 08/13/1999 21:41:37
On Fri, 13 Aug 1999, Peter Seebach wrote:

>So, I've noticed that on my -current laptop, on the console, I get
>0x7f from the "backspace" key, and 0x1b 0x5b 0x33 0x7e from the "delete"
>key.  The latter is <esc>[3~.
>
>Why?  What did I do to deserve this?

Because it's correct for a VT2xx/3xx/4xx emulation.  Although the 3 of the 6
edit keys on a PC keyboard are marked differently from a DEC keyboard
(Remove, Find & Select), most emulations map the same escape sequences to
them.  And if someone is going to use such an emulation to log in to
some system which reuires those keys, they'd better be there (or the poor
bloody user will end up having to type the escape sequences in by hand!).

About the only part of the Windoze user interface that I like is having
the [<-] key delete backwards and the Delete key delete forwards.  Why
would you want two adjacent keys to generate DEL and BS?

And if you use EMACS on the console you don't want the [<-] key to generate
Backspace!

Roger

Roger Brooks (Systems Programmer),          |  Email: R.S.Brooks@liv.ac.uk
Computing Services Dept,                    |  Tel:   +44 151 794 4441
The University of Liverpool,                |  Fax:   +44 151 794 4442
PO Box 147, Liverpool L69 3BX, UK           |