Subject: Re: pciide changes & promise pciide support
To: Hal Murray <murray@pa.dec.com>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: current-users
Date: 08/12/1999 02:08:04
    Date:        Tue, 10 Aug 1999 15:05:42 -0700
    From:        Hal Murray <murray@pa.dec.com>

  | Will your new code work with 1.4 or does it need -current?

It certainly seems to compile & run on 1.4 (or at least, 1.4 with KAME added
in, but I doubt that IPv6 and IDE drivers are going to be affecting each other).

That is, I just compiled and booted it on such a system...

NetBSD 1.4 (FUCHSIA) #26: Thu Aug 12 01:48:05 EST 1999
    kre@fuchsia.cs.mu.OZ.AU:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/FUCHSIA

(lots of blather deleted)

pciide1 at pci0 dev 15 function 0: Promise Ultra DMA/ATA66 Bus Master IDE Accele
rator
pciide1: bus-master DMA support present
pciide1: primary channel configured to native-PCI mode
pciide1: using irq 11 for native-PCI interrupt
pciide1: disabling primary channel (no drives)
pciide1: secondary channel configured to native-PCI mode
pciide1: disabling secondary channel (no drives)

Unfortunately, as you can see, I have nothing connected to the Promise
controller yet, so this test of "working" is not all that effective.
I will move something onto it soon, just as a basic i/o validity test.

You might also notice that this is a Promise Ultra 66, which Manuel didn't
pretend to support (that's all I have).  For this, I added ...

*** pciide.c.Bouyer     Mon Aug  9 06:03:57 1999
--- pciide.c    Thu Aug 12 01:40:51 1999
***************
*** 320,325 ****
--- 320,330 ----
          "Promise Ultra DMA/ATA Bus Master IDE Accelerator",
          pdc20246_chip_map,
        },
+       { PCI_PRODUCT_PROMISE_ULTRA66,
+         0,
+         "Promise Ultra DMA/ATA66 Bus Master IDE Accelerator",
+         pdc20246_chip_map,
+       },
        { 0,
          0,
          NULL,

That is, having no doc at all, I just assumed that the Promise people were
as lazy (or smart) as I would be, and change as little as possible.  This
might not end up actually doing 66MHz transfers, I don't know if I will
ever find out, if it works at all, it will be great.

Thanks Manuel - I kind of knew that if I just waited you'd make it all
work eventually!

And I will let everyone know if the /66 really does work with a device
connected (for now it will have to be an ATAPI device, if that looks OK,
I'll acquire some real /66 drives in the next couple of days and connect them)

kre