Subject: Re: -current. . . Did I screw up?
To: None <netbsd@dew-drop.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/04/1999 02:58:12
On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, D.Joyce wrote:

> I did a make build last night.  When I got up this morning
> The system was sitting at at an error. . .  the lines before
> were something to the effect of rm -f /usr/lib/libc.so.12
> ln -s ....  something. . .  then an error about ln not finding
> libc.so.12.. . . Duh! It got deleted!  Did I do something wrong?
> I did compile the gnu fileutil package to get ls to have color.
> is there a way to man cp, rm, mv, ln, ls, etc. . . be self contained
> to prevent this in the future?

Ouch! The files you mention are in /bin, and everthing is /sbin /bin
is compiled static. The old ls should still be in /bin/ls.

You can't even run "make" or "gcc" without libc, though. You'll need
to get libc.so.* off of another machine. "make" &c will complain if
it's an older version than the one they were linked against, but you
still may be able to "make && make install" in /usr/src/lib/libc.

As to what went wrong... don't know. If you add "BUILD= yes" to your
/etc/mk.conf, make will never try to install a target that doesn't
exist. You don't normally *need* that to do a make build, but it might
help you figure out what goes wrong without trashing your system again.