Subject: Re: Password migration from Secure Ultrix to NetBSD
To: John C. Hayward <John.C.Hayward@wheaton.edu>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 08/03/1999 00:24:01
On Sat, Jul 31, 1999 at 09:52:34PM -0500, John C. Hayward wrote:
> Dear NetBSDers,
>
>    We are in the process of migrating mail users from an Ulitrx machine
> running in secure mode to a NetBSD machine.  When Ultrix is running
> in secure mode it's passwords are stored in an "auth" database and it
> apparently uses a crypt16 library routine to allow up to 16 character
> passwords.  If you take the encrypted password on the Ultrix system and
> us it in NetBSD password file it does not work - presumably because the
> crypt routines are different.
>
>    We will probably give users a unique default password if there is no
> way to migrate their passwords.
>
>    Any suggestions on migrating passwords from Ultrix secure to NetBSD
> would be appreciated.

If you're referring to the 'type' of encrypted password I think, then
the encrypted text is a 2 char salt, + 2-11 char strings, for a
total length of 23 yes?

If so, strip the password to just the first 13 characters and NetBSD
should be happy. The ones I've seen simply encrypt the first 8 characters
into the first 11 crypted, and the 2nd 8 into the 2nd 11 crypted.

All this stuff in twice the space would only look half as bad!
					      - me