Subject: RE: PCMCIA/Compact Flash
To: 'seebs@plethora.net' <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Lindgren, Jon <jlindgren@espus.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/29/1999 06:46:44

------_=_NextPart_001_01BED9AF.A66138C0

I tried a SanDisk adapter in my old Midwest Mirco laptop running 1.4, and it
probed but found 2 drives (2 wdc's? I'd have to check again) on the card
instead of the expected 1.  Upon mounting it, NetBSD complained that the
device wasn't configured, even though I had the "wdc* at pcmcia?..." line in
my kernel's config file.  I can mount fat floppies, so it looks like
something wrong (misconfigured) with my config.  Removing the card, btw,
panics my kernel...

Funny enough, the same kernel finds multiple drives on my internal IDE bus -
I had to reconfigure the kernel to just read "wd0 at wdc0 chanel..."
otherwise it sat and probed the day away - again, probably my
misconfiguration.

Does anyone who has a SanDisk working have the will/want to send me a few
config lines from their setup?

It may just be the old Midworst Micro machine, but an ne2000 card works just
fine.

Along these notes, would anyone besides me love it if some userland scripts
could be run on card insertion/removal?  Perhaps a pcmciad which could do
this?

Just my 2c.

-Jon Lindgren
 "My employer apologizes for their love of markup."

------_=_NextPart_001_01BED9AF.A66138C0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2232.0">
<TITLE>RE: PCMCIA/Compact Flash</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; -----Original Message-----</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; From: seebs@plethora.net [<A =
HREF=3D"mailto:seebs@plethora.net">mailto:seebs@plethora.net</A>]</FONT>=

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 1999 11:57 PM</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; To: current-users@netbsd.org</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Subject: PCMCIA/Compact Flash</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Anyone know what those &quot;compact =
flash&quot; readers look like?&nbsp; I </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; have acquired a digital camera, and it would =
make my day if</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; it were possible to copy these lovely jpeg =
images directly</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; from the compact flash in the PCMCIA adapter =
over to, say,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; a floppy.&nbsp; I know Mac and Windows machines =
&quot;just see the disk&quot;,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; as does my Psion, as does my camera...</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I tried a SanDisk adapter in my old Midwest Mirco =
laptop running 1.4, and it probed but found 2 drives (2 wdc's? I'd have =
to check again) on the card instead of the expected 1.&nbsp; Upon =
mounting it, NetBSD complained that the device wasn't configured, even =
though I had the &quot;wdc* at pcmcia?...&quot; line in my kernel's =
config file.&nbsp; I can mount fat floppies, so it looks like something =
wrong (misconfigured) with my config.&nbsp; Removing the card, btw, =
panics my kernel...</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Funny enough, the same kernel finds multiple drives =
on my internal IDE bus - I had to reconfigure the kernel to just read =
&quot;wd0 at wdc0 chanel...&quot; otherwise it sat and probed the day =
away - again, probably my misconfiguration.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Does anyone who has a SanDisk working have the =
will/want to send me a few config lines from their setup?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>It may just be the old Midworst Micro machine, but an =
ne2000 card works just fine.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Along these notes, would anyone besides me love it if =
some userland scripts could be run on card insertion/removal?&nbsp; =
Perhaps a pcmciad which could do this?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Just my 2c.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>-Jon Lindgren</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;&quot;My employer apologizes for their love of =
markup.&quot;</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>