Subject: Re: PCMCIA/Compact Flash
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/29/1999 00:17:40
In message <19990729005657.A14754@rek.tjls.com>, Thor Lancelot Simon writes:
>On Wed, Jul 28, 1999 at 11:30:49PM -0500, seebs@plethora.net wrote:
>> I've seen the former, but the latter is the only sort practical for my
>> notebook.   ;-)

>Well, it should "just work", then.  We support wdc at pcmcia.  The
>filesystem is totally normal MSDOS FAT.

Hmm.  Well, my Viking CF adapter doesn't seem to be probing, but I'll try
again in a bit.  ;-)

>Well, wherever you get them, get the SanDisk cards and *not* the
>Hitachi ones.  Hitachi appears to test enough to make sure that their
>cards work in a camera and that's about it.  Sometimes, they don't even
>do that.  Basically, you write data to one block, and you can read it
>back -- from another block somewhere totally different on the disk!  No
>good.  They're crap.  Don't use them, you're asking for trouble.

Oh, wow.  Hmm.   I think I have one or two sandisks, one "viking", and
one "kensington" - oh, and the "minolta" that came with the camera.  Oh,
the "minolta" is really a SanDisk.

Well, my Viking PCMCIA adapter doesn't seem to do anything, at least, not
with my current laptop - although I will say, it worked in my Mac.

Plain old FAT.  Geeze.

If I can get these running, I'm *much* better off than I have been trying to
get RTS/CTS running with my Psion.  ;-)

-s