Subject: Re: PCMCIA/Compact Flash
To: None <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/29/1999 00:56:57
On Wed, Jul 28, 1999 at 11:30:49PM -0500, seebs@plethora.net wrote:

> I've seen the former, but the latter is the only sort practical for my
> notebook.   ;-)

Well, it should "just work", then.  We support wdc at pcmcia.  The
filesystem is totally normal MSDOS FAT.

> >I use only genuine SanDisk brand cards.  Almost everything else is
> >just a relabelled Hitachi card, and those are hideously buggy, particularly
> >in "drive" mode.  They're almost useful only as data-scramblers.  You can
> >get the SanDisk cards from buy.com at a pretty good price.
>
> I had to make a personal phone call to Exodus's abuse desk to get buy.com
> to stop spamming a coworker; actually, then I had to send another complaint
> the week after that.  It took about two months to get them to stop.

Well, wherever you get them, get the SanDisk cards and *not* the
Hitachi ones.  Hitachi appears to test enough to make sure that their
cards work in a camera and that's about it.  Sometimes, they don't even
do that.  Basically, you write data to one block, and you can read it
back -- from another block somewhere totally different on the disk!  No
good.  They're crap.  Don't use them, you're asking for trouble.

	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"