Subject: wi driver issues [was Re: driver for Lucent WaveLan/IEEE 802.11 committed]
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
List: current-users
Date: 07/19/1999 17:20:34
Well, I've now been playing with the driver on my Thinkpad 600 for the
better part of a day (thanks to Chris Hopps who pointed out that the IO
space allocated for it was overlapped an unconfigured device), and I've
noticed three things, the first two of which may or may not be related:

1.  The card never comes up correctly the first time it's ifconfig'ed up.
    No IRQ is assigned for it, and consequently any attempted accesses
    result in  "wi0: device timeout".  However, if I bring the interface
    down, then up again, it works fine.  (even in powersaving mode!)

2.  Suspend mode on the laptop doesn't seem to work correctly once wi0
    is probed;  calling apm suspend seems to put it in Standby mode
    instead.  (Which, incidentally, seems to be broken on this machine;
    it may or may not be related to PR 6279 ... I've put the patch in,
    which seems to clear up the suspend problem, but...)  It's calling
    apm_suspend, because /etc/apm/suspend gets called, but the mode
    behaves more like standby...

3.  I've noticed that wiconfig seems not to require superuser privileges
    to perform its magic... I don't offhand see a way to configure
    access to this.

If anyone has further suggestions for troubleshooting, I'm
eager to help.  Even having it in this state is fantastic, though!

+j

--
Jeff Rizzo                                         http://boogers.sf.ca.us/~riz