Subject: Re: 64K problems? (fwd)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Erik Rungi <blackbox@openface.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 07/19/1999 02:02:38
On the gated mailing list, there is currently a thread discussing
possibilities where BSD based kernels will have serious problems if you have
more than 2^16 routes associated with any one interface.  This is something
that has the real possibility of happening with modern BGP routers.

I read that the FreeBSD solution was to change "short ifa_refcnt" in if.h to a
long.

Looking at the "netbsd-current" source at ftp.netbsd.org, it looks like we
have ifa_refcnt as a short.  I guess its possible that this is a problem with
NetBSD.  I couldn't find anything related to it in the gnats database.

I'm forwarding this information to the list in case anybody was interested in
this potential problem.  Maybe Somebody Who Knows What They Are Doing might
want to look at it.

Erik