Subject: Re: flush buffers on "mount -u"?
To: Chris Jones <cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: current-users
Date: 07/14/1999 21:16:24
On Wed, Jul 14, 1999 at 10:43:32AM -0600, Chris Jones wrote:
> Is this a bug?
>
> Apparently, "mount -u -o ro /fs" doesn't flush any dirty buffers on
> /fs.  Consequently, I get a message from the kernel that says the fs
> is dirty and needs to have fsck run on it.  If I do a couple of sync's
> before the mount -u, everything is fine.

I don't think it fails to flush the buffers. When you fsck it it's marked
clean (and I think if there was dirty buffers for a RO fs the kernel would
panic - there's checks for this at different places).
It's just the logic of how the kernel handle the clean flag which is broken.
Annoying message but not a big deal. There's already a PR open on this.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>