Subject: Re: Caveat regarding switch to ELF and recent builds on i386...
To: Chris Jones <cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 07/14/1999 12:09:41
On Wed, Jul 14, 1999 at 09:59:27AM -0600, Chris Jones wrote:

> Would it make sense to add something to the build target in the
> top-level Makefile like:
>
> find /*bin /usr/*bin /usr/*/*bin -exec basename {} \; | sort | uniq -d

I think I'd go more for a list of files that are no longer relevant when
moving from one system to another. This could be a bit tricky, though,
since we're not using the package system for everything.

I think using the package system would be ideal. The ability to map out
dependencies automatically would be useful. We'd be able to know, for
instance, when a particular old library no longer has anything linked
against it. (This assumes everything's a package, but this sort of thing
could be done to some extent with non-packages and tool to see which
libraries are used...)

--
    Mason Loring Bliss  mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us  They also surf who
awake ? sleep : dream;  http://acheron.ne.mediaone.net  only stand on waves.