Subject: Caveat regarding switch to ELF and recent builds on i386...
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 07/14/1999 08:23:36
Hi, all.

I noticed something strange after my build. /usr/sbin/nslookup and that lot
seemingly weren't included in the build.

In fact, they were, but here's the situation:

It seems that at some point in the recent (?) past, nslookup, dig, and friends
were moved from /usr/sbin to /usr/bin. I wasn't aware of this. /usr/sbin shows
up before /usr/bin in my paths, typically, so when I type "nslookup" without
a path, I get /usr/sbin/nslookup.

Yesterday I finally finished rebuilding all my packages and a couple other
random things so they'd be ELF, and I started running a kernel without
COMPAT_AOUT, as well as nuking /emul/aout. nslookup and friends ceased to
run, since my path gave me an older AOUT nslookup, etc., and I no longer
had any way to deal with it.

This obviously was just a case of deleting the old stuff in /usr/sbin, but
maybe knowing about it in advance will save someone some frustration if
anyone else runs into this. <shrug> This would be especially annoying and
pernicious for someone who makes use of any of these binaries in a script,
using hard-coded paths.

--
    Mason Loring Bliss  mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us  They also surf who
awake ? sleep : dream;  http://acheron.ne.mediaone.net  only stand on waves.