Subject: Re: README: changes to the build system
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Aidan Cully <aidan@kublai.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/14/1999 03:28:02
On Tue, Jul 13, 1999 at 11:27:09AM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:
> Hi folks...
>
> You may have noticed my mega-commit yesterday which completely reworks
> the build system for integrated cryptography support.  These changes
> are designed to make it easier to support multiple different crypto
> code bases: one for the USA (crypto-us) and one for the free world
> (crypto-intl).
> If you have any questions, please send mail here about it.  If you encounter
> any problems, please send a bug report w/ send-pr(1), and I'll look into
> it.

I must raise a small voice in protest, here..  I don't think we should
be selectively building one part of the tree over another one.  My opinion
is that we should use crypto-intl _always_ when it contains equivalent
functionality to what's in crypto-us (and cvs rm the crypto-us version,
for that matter), and when the run-time of -us and -intl conflict, build
both and provide a run-time knob to the user to let *him* select which
version of the code to run.  (Obviously, in cases where a -us version does
not exist, build the -intl, and when -intl doesn't exist, build the -us.)

This is sometimes difficult, given the way the code and the build trees
are structured, but I'd like it if the above paragraph were considered a
good direction for NetBSD.  I'll devote whatever resources I can to it,
after getting krb5 integrated (which will happen soon).

--aidan