Subject: Re: dns search paths with KAME
To: itojun@iijlab.net, matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Ronald Khoo <ronald@chersonese.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/14/1999 15:32:03
} 	Ronald seem to wishing "hosts: files dns" so the previous email
} 	described that case.

As my previous e-mail indicates, this is not the case.  I really
ought to have an nsswitch.conf that said "hosts: dns" since I don't
use files, but I didn't bother.

I initially postulated that I could work around the problem by
putting a fake AAAA address in my private dns zone, but it
doesn't work because telnet then grabs that, fails to get an
IPv6 socket, and bails out.

FTP on the other hand, then goes on to try the IPv4 address and
succeeds.  I think I like FTPs behaviour better.  On the other
hand, I don't think FTP has to do all the complicated parsing
of source routes that telnet does, right ?  (does anyone use
that stuff anymore ?  It doesn't even seem to be documented in
telnet(1)).

% telnet broccoli
Trying ::172.30.0.1...
telnet: socket: Protocol not supported

aw, shucks, but at least the modem didn't dial :-)

% ftp broccoli
Trying ::172.30.0.1...
Trying 172.30.0.1...
Connected to broccoli.chersonese.com.
220 broccoli.chersonese.com FTP server (Version 7.02) ready.

So I could hack telnet to support my workaround, or I could build my
libc without INET6 support.  But I'd rather have a libc that just
searched dns paths over address families rather than vice versa ;-)