Subject: Re: Promise Ultra33/66 PCI IDE controllers
To: Hal Murray <murray@pa.dec.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 07/13/1999 11:02:55
On Tue, Jul 13, 1999 at 12:18:49AM -0700, Hal Murray wrote:

> Anybody know anything about it/them?
>
> I get the following message during startup:
>
>   Promise Technology Ultra DMA/ATA Bus Master IDE Accelerator (RAID
>   mass storage, revision 0x01) at pci0 dev 18 function 0 not configured
>
> I thought it was a popular card so I'm a bit suprised it isn't supported.

The problem is that Promise Technology isn't very cooperative with free
OSes. I've asked them for documentation about their products so that I could
add support for them, but they never gave them to me.
Someone else has the docs, but under NDA so they can't be used to write a
driver distributed in sources.

> I poked around in the 1.4 sources.  I found an entry in the list
> of known PCI devices but nothing to hook it up to a driver.  Not
> too surprising since I didn't see it mentioned in the supported hardware
> list.
>
> Did I miss something?  Anybody working on it?
>
> [I think the "Raid" part is bogus.  It's just an IDE controller.
> It may use the Raid device type code for some PC related reason.]

However, as they use a Raid identifiant instead of the PCI IDE one, I suspect
this board is not conformant to the PCI IDE specs for other parts. Getting it
working certainly requires a new driver.