Subject: Strange network behaviour - part 1 solved
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/10/1999 13:49:57
OK, I figured out what the heck was wrong with xntpd:

I recently added a few "restrict" lines in my /etc/ntp.conf file as a
security measure.  Seems I didn't allow 127.0.0.1 to access ntp, so not
only could I not execute ntpq (or xntpdc) commands, the forked copy of
xntpd that does the DNS lookups could not contact the "real" copy to
tell it about new peers!

Maybe there should be a comment in the ntp docs about not blocking
access from localhost?  :)

Anyway, now if I can just figure out why inbound connections to some
daemons stop, I'll be happy.

| Paul Goyette      | PGP DSS Key fingerprint:   | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Engineer  |   BCD7 5301 9513 58A6 0DBC |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| and kernel hacker |   91EB ADB1 A280 3B79 9221 |  pgoyette@juniper.net |