Subject: installing boot blocks
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Paul B Dokas <dokas@cs.umn.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/10/1999 11:25:46
Being an adventurous person, I bashed my way through the a.out -> ELF
build process yesterday and thanks to 'make -k' I've got everything
except for fstat up to -current as of yesterday <Yea!>.  I followed
the instructions pretty closely, including the installation of new
boot blocks:

  /usr/mdec/installboot /usr/mdec/biosboot.sym /dev/rsd0a

I should *not* have done this since my boot blocks were from 1.4-release
and thus would already handle booting ELF kernels.

I'm now stuck with a box that will not boot at all from the primary disk.
I just sits there after a warm or cold reset and acts as if there were
no OS at all installed on the disk.  I've got to pull out the 1.4-release
install floppy and boot strap from that.

So my question is, what did I do wrong?  I did not change the disklabel.
I (think) that I didn't touch the MBR.  All that I did was run installboot.

What is the real procedure?

Paul
--
Paul Dokas                                            dokas@cs.umn.edu
Don Juan Matus:  "an enigma wrapped in mystery wrapped in a tortilla."