Subject: Re: Strange network behaviour
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/10/1999 05:20:21
On Sat, 10 Jul 1999, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Jul 1999, Paul Goyette wrote:
>
> > And, I don't know why, but most of the time when /etc/rc starts up
> > xntpd, it ends up creating two processes!  One is listening on the
> > proper sockets, but never does anything useful, and ntpq just times out
> > when attempting to connect to the demon!
>
> I don't know about the other problems, but the xntpd thing is normal.
> It's forking a process to do the actual name resolution. This is so it
> can start doing it's thing without waiting for every name in ntp.conf
> to be resolved. As long as at least one {server, clock} resolves, you
> should be able to watch the clock sync up as the other hosts come
> online with repeated applications of 'ntpq -c rl ; ntpq -c pe'.

All ntpq commands just time out, no response.

> Maybe you're having a problem with your nameservice?

It's possible, but since I run my own DNS, I rather doubt it.  Unless of
course named is having communication problems similar to everything
else.

| Paul Goyette      | PGP DSS Key fingerprint:   | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Engineer  |   BCD7 5301 9513 58A6 0DBC |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| and kernel hacker |   91EB ADB1 A280 3B79 9221 |  pgoyette@juniper.net |