Subject: Re: Night madness?
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 07/06/1999 12:02:20
>     At one point, the theory of aeronautics said that bees can't fly...

Oh, dear...  This famous boo-boo was an estimate given at an informal
setting (I think possibly a dinner table conversation, but I forget
the details).

It was done as an approximation which neglected that insects fly at
very, very low Reynolds numbers, where the viscosity of the air
becomes significant.  When you take that into account, plus the
flexing of insect wings, the vortices they create are quite adequate
to fly, and aerodynamics does indeed get the right answer.  Bees don't
so much fly, as swim through the air. Thus bees in microgravity (e.g.,
Mir, ISS) would fly much the same as they do on Earth, with only minor
changes due to requiring less lift.

Some of the followups about mini-`cyclones' are sorta in the right
direction, but _any_ moving wing is going to create vortices following
behind it.

This comes up every few months on sci.space.*, and I'm paraphasing
Henry Spencer, who is more reliable than many published reference
books.  Check a sci.space.science archive for the details if you
really must.  Or maybe someone can get one of the scientists at NAS
to give a really authoritative answer :)