Subject: Re: lfs and newsfeeds
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/06/1999 04:11:49
On Tue, Jul 06, 1999 at 10:02:03AM +0200, Markus Illenseer wrote:

>  Is LFS usuable (and stable) to use as a base for Usenet feeds?

It's getting there.  Don't use it for data you can't easily recover,
particularly not if you're running 1.4!  If you're running -current it's
in decent shape.

Don't fill it up.  You want your LFS to run at least 25% free.  If you
do fill it up all the way, there's a fairly substantial chance you'll
deadlock the kernel and the cleaner process and hang your machine.

Oh -- unless Konrad's committed the patch he sent me, you may want to
avoid using mknod() on your LFS.   Shouldn't be an issue unless you
use named pipes or need to build a chrooted environment, though.

>  Any experiences available? Who is the current maintainer of the lfs?

Some of the above may seem a little scary, but actually I use LFS on
my main home fileserver/development box, and it's been working fine for
quite a while.  Since it's trivial to recover Usenet news data anyway
it's probably a good application for it, so long as you can ensure that
the filesystem never gets full.

If you're using a RAID or ccd, you'll want to tinker with the LFS
segment size to ensure it's a multiple of your stripe size.

Konrad Schroeder has done a wonderful job of fixing and maintaining LFS
and is still working on it AFAIK.

Oh -- one more tip -- mount your LFS filesystem "noatime".  That'll keep
the inode from migrating away from the data and substantially help read
performance, particularly on a news spool.