Subject: Re: NOTICE: i386 port switched to ELF binary format
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Gary Duzan <gary@wheel.tiac.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/05/1999 14:24:21
In Message <199907051815.LAA13287@lestat.nas.nasa.gov> ,
   Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov> wrote:

=>On Mon, 05 Jul 1999 21:55:40 +0900
=> Takahiro Kambe <taca@sky.yamashina.kyoto.jp> wrote:
=>
=> > Is there any way to use AOUT format?
=>
=>You can continue to *use* the a.out format, but the toolchain isn't
=>configured to build a.out binaries anymore.
=>
=>COMPAT_AOUT in your kernel allows you to put your a.out shlibs in
=>/emul/aout/... and all will be well.

   A little experimentation shows that a little tweaking of the
/etc/ld.so.conf and a "ldconfig -S" can help getting old a.out
binaries working after the upgrade. Without it I kept getting
"Invalid file format" or some such thing from "ld.so" when running
a.out binaries. It also didn't seem to like using
/emul/aout/usr/libexec/ld.so; without /usr/libexec/ld.so I would
get "No ld.so" messages.

					Gary D. Duzan