Subject: Re: Night madness?
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 07/03/1999 23:10:23
On Sat, Jul 03, 1999 at 01:23:49PM -0400, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 02, 1999 at 10:13:33PM -0300, David Maxwell wrote:
>
> > On closer inspection, it seems to be a radio station,
> > but the voices are too low/rough to identify.
>
> Back when my main machine was an Osborne 1 Portable running CP/M, I once was
> listening to my favourite radio station at the time late into the night. The
> radio station went off the air, finally, leaving nothing but static. After a
> while, I noticed that the static wasn't as random as I'd have expected. The
> static had sounds that varied based on what I was running - running different
> things produced different (and reproducable) noises.

Yes, with a uni-tasking machine, it's quite possible to learn to
identify what program is running, based on the pattern of RF generated
by the idle loop. I've never bothered trying with any multitasking
OS, since theory tells me it won't work.

Any sufficiently advanced Common Sense will seem like magic...
					      - me