Subject: Re: Night madness?
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 07/02/1999 16:11:03
> My computer, twice now, has started playing some sort of tune. Spontaneously.
> Seemingly out of the machine's internal speaker. (i386)
> Has anyone running the setiathome client seen this? That's the only thing
> that's running that doesn't normally run.
>
> Hm... A little kill -9 later, and it's no longer running. Let's see if this
> phantom music returns, sans setiathome. While it was playing, I didn't see
> anything unusual running.

One system I have (an AMD K6/233 with a VIA motherboard) has an
audible overtemperature alarm on it which somehow works even while
NetBSD is running.

I noticed this last summer when running the distributed.net rc5/des
cracker on a very hot day.  The system was *very* hot; one
contributing factor was a non-working power supply fan (bad bearings).

					- Bill