Subject: RE: Night madness?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Hal Murray <murray@pa.dec.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/02/1999 12:42:12
> I couldn't track it down for the longest time, until one night the night
> watchman for my apartment was walking down the hall outside my room (my door
> was open), and then I heard his walkie-talkie (or long-range radio of some
> sort) beep. He then spoke into the walkie talkie/radio, and lo and behold,
> my speakers came to life and rendered a _very_ scratchy rendition of his
> voice - bad enough sound quality that I couldn't make out exactly what he
> was saying, but it was recognizable as being his voice, if you heard both
> him actually talking and the speakers at the same time. =)

I'm far from a wizard in this area, but that sort of action doesn't
seem all that strange.

The key thing you need in a radio receiver is some non-linear circuit.
Diodes are great - that's all you need for a crystal set.  Computers
are full of diodes.  Many chips have free/extra/hidden diodes, especially
when the input signal is out of the normal range.

You might be able to solve the problem with standard EMI procedures
- the math/physics for junk getting out of a system is the same as
for getting trash in.