Subject: Re: Abusing NFS+UNIONFS to avoid BSDOBJDIR.
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 07/02/1999 11:56:56
On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, Todd Whitesel wrote:

> I would like to use the following scheme to track -current on my home net:
>
>     1. stable central machine (beefy UW disks, 100bT) SUPs the various
> 	source collections and NFS exports them.
>
>     2. 8-port switch provides full 10bT bandwidth (modulo some tuning)
> 	for 7 client machines to the central machine's 100bT.
>
>     3. The client machines all NFS-mount the source read-only, and union
> 	mount local storage on top of it.
>
>     4. The client machines build -current inside their union mounts,
> 	without using BSDOBJDIR.

What's wrong with BSDOBJDIR?

All you need to do is, on the server, have BSDSRCDIR point to the source.
Then on the server do a make obj. Now all the clients will see obj dirs
which are sym links to (the server's idea of) BSDOBJDIR. i.e. out of the
src tree. Then just populate BSDOBJDIR on the clients and you're set. :-)

Take care,

Bill