Subject: Re: Night madness?
To: Sean Doran , Roger Brooks <R.S.Brooks@liverpool.ac.uk>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 07/02/1999 11:15:54
First, an update: I figured that flaked out parameter RAM (CMOS, whatever)
might have been a likely choice for something to be corrupted in a power
outage, so I rebooted and reset the BIOS to its default. I have yet to
have the tunes played after this.

On Fri, Jul 02, 1999 at 11:40:15AM +0200, Sean Doran wrote:

> Do you have someone doing midiplay -x on your machine?

Nah... I checked this out. No one had been on for a while, other than me, and
no one had left any at jobs or crontab entries to do anything even remotely
like this. :)

On Fri, Jul 02, 1999 at 10:48:40AM +0100, Roger Brooks wrote:

> Of course the problem with this is that NetBSD doesn't use the BIOS once
> booted, although doesn't apm use some 32-bit BIOS code?

My kernel doesn't have apm compiled in, alas.

On Fri, Jul 02, 1999 at 02:53:58AM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:

> I've seen some high-end CPU fans that can do this.  They are connected
> between the motherboard speaker connection and the speaker.

Hm. But, mine is a low-end fan, and there's no such connector. It could have
been a heat-related thing, POSSIBLY, except that it was a reasonably cool
night.

On Fri, Jul 02, 1999 at 01:26:04PM +0200, Thilo Manske wrote:

> You have found ALIENS! They're trying to contact you. ;-)

I haven't ruled this one out yet. :P

> (BTW: I've spent >1300h of CPU time for seti and it has never played
>  a tune for me - but I don't have spkr in my kernels.)

I turned setiathome off overnight, and the tunes played on... :)

On Fri, Jul 02, 1999 at 07:35:22AM -0400, John Kohl wrote:

> apmd will try to use /dev/speaker to announce state changes.  Maybe it
> got in a loop and your brain interpreted it as twinkle-twinkle?

My brain might have interpreted THAT as "Twinkle, Twinkle," but the other,
more complex tune played repeatedly, and was definitely not at all random.
Also, I've only got a couple friends with access to the box, and I don't
believe they're quite yet able to do something like this *AND* hide their
tracks completely. BTW: You seem local. Do you know about the (really low-
key) NetBSD-Boston mailing list?

On Fri, Jul 02, 1999 at 08:48:48AM -0400, Edwin Foo wrote:

> Actually, I've run across this before too. I'd be sitting there late at
> night in my room coding , and out of my speakers would come voices!

Heh! This avoided my external speakers, though, and came, quite loudly, out
of my internal speaker.

On Fri, Jul 02, 1999 at 09:21:51AM -0400, Ted Lemon wrote:

> Welcome to the Straumli Realm.

:P

On Fri, Jul 02, 1999 at 04:42:56PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> Also there are some hardware monitoring things (temperatues, fan speeds)
> which raise alarms by making noise to the speacker.

It's conceivable, but it's definitely nothing obvious.

Anyway, thanks, all, for the hints and clues. I'll be sure to report any
recurrances.

--
    Mason Loring Bliss  mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us  They also surf who
awake ? sleep : dream;  http://acheron.ne.mediaone.net  only stand on waves.