Subject: Night madness?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 07/02/1999 04:56:44
My computer, twice now, has started playing some sort of tune. Spontaneously.
Seemingly out of the machine's internal speaker. (i386)

The first time, it seemed to be playing "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star." And
just now, it started playing something more complex. (It would be catchy,
even, if it wasn't bugging me out so much.)

I'm going to read current-users tomorrow, and if....
Wow. It's doing it again.

This is *so* freaky...

Has anyone running the setiathome client seen this? That's the only thing
that's running that doesn't normally run.

Hm... A little kill -9 later, and it's no longer running. Let's see if this
phantom music returns, sans setiathome. While it was playing, I didn't see
anything unusual running.

FWIW, spkr0 exists and is built into my kernel.

NetBSD acheron.middleboro.ma.us 1.4D NetBSD 1.4D (MLB) #0: Sat Jun 26 11:12:45 EDT 1999     root@acheron.middleboro.ma.us:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/MLB i386

Um... I guess I'm not going to send-pr this. FWIW, things I've verified:

1) It's coming from the PC speaker, and not through the sound card, so it's
not using /dev/audio.
2) I'm using a fairly standard BIOS. I don't think it uses music to warn me
of anything. (I *did* just go through a power outage, which is why I mention
this.)
3) No one but me is logged in.
4) No one but me has cron doing anything. I see not at jobs queued. lastlog
shows no one but me for a while.
5) It is, actually, coming from the computer - punching the power button
ended the music. :P
6) I have no unusual ports open.

Okay. I'm going back to sleep now. (I was woken up to the strands of "Twinkle,
Twinkle" coming from my box. Hm... Thinking about it, maybe the music was
first playing while there was a memory check going on... I don't remember
exactly, as I was half-asleep and staring blearily at my machine from across
the room, wondering what the heck it was doing. I don't know.)

I think I'm going to swear off Intel hardware entirely someday soon.

--
    Mason Loring Bliss  mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us  They also surf who
awake ? sleep : dream;  http://acheron.ne.mediaone.net  only stand on waves.