Subject: Re: make depend error when making kernel with source upto June 30, 1999
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 06/30/1999 12:12:21
On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 01, 1999 at 02:25:16AM +0800, Chan Yiu Wah wrote:
>
> > Can anyone help me to solve the problem as I encountered an error when make
> > depend in making a new kernel. The error is
> >
> > ======= Error =======
> > ../../../../netinet/in.c:76: opt_inet_conf.h: No such file or directory
> >
> > mkdep: compile failed.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop.
>
> If you've supped in between builds, it can't hurt to "make cleandir" in the
> compile directory for your kernel. Also, running "config" again might not be
> a bad idea, but probably the "make cleandir" will do the trick for you.

make cleandir won't help. re-running config will.

The opt_XXX.h files are the defopt files. It used to be that everything
was a -D option passed on the cc command line. Now kernel builds include
opt_XXX.h files which include these defenitions. The idea is that make
depend will add the opt_ files as dependencies, so when you change a
configuration defenition, the right .o's (and only them) will get rebuilt.

Take care,

Bill