Subject: Re: ISO images for the FTP site?
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.org>
From: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@t.dk>
List: current-users
Date: 06/30/1999 15:19:42
On Tue, Jun 29, 1999 at 02:09:36PM -0400, Michael G. Schabert wrote:
> People are thinking of how much easier this'll make it to make NetBSD
> CDROMs. It shouldn't be too difficult to use the cdhdtape with the distrib
> sets to accomplish the same thing...or as I mentioned mke a package out of
> Bob's scripts...actually, it'd probably be best to make a directory in the
> packages tree, with a package for each of the CDROM'able archs as well as 1
> package for the hybrid catch-all CDROMs. With those, there would be almost
> NO extra disk space needed on ftp.netbsd.org since the package/scripts can
> still be getting the files from the distrib sets.

I am all for a CD-creating package as well, but having a raw CD image
available would make it a lot easier for people who do not already have
NetBSD running and people who would have a hard time running mkisofs
on their funky all-non-Unix systems, and it removes the risk of error
when putting the distribution files into the staging area.

For many people, CD-R access is still awkard, i.e. though work/university
only where a raw file is easier to just plunk onto a blank.

It just makes getting NetBSD a whole lot easier for a number of people.

--
Soren