Subject: Re: curses strangeness, Cannot fork messages
To: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 06/29/1999 11:34:13
According to Ross Harvey:

>Sorry if it sounded like "the sky is falling". FWIW, I wish I had phrased it
>all more carefully -- sorry!

Is ok - I was a bit touchy due to too much blood in my caffeine stream
;-)

>But on the technical point, you seem to be missing something ...  curses.h
>will access those fields via macros!  It exports the structure, and then
>compiles into the client open-coded references to the fields.

Is true - mea culpa.  I didn't check before making that statement.

>Well, OK, but it did affect more than just vi, and more than just me.

True and true but like I said it was not something that I had tested.
I was very concious that what we were/are doing had the potential to
break a lot of things.  I think we have got off lightly at the moment :-)

>That actually makes this problem worse in a way, because if the file is
>less than 60 lines (and most of the admin files are) then I *can't* space
>forward or backwards, and if the file has been modified, I can't even quit
>and restart easily.

Is true.  I don't think it makes sense to argue about what you could
and couldn't do to survive the lossage.  Both Simon and I managed to
spot the bug within an hour of each other (Simon got there first :-)
so the problem should now have gone away, modulo broken-ness of things
compiled between the two patches.

>Anyway, overall I'm sure our libcurses is much nicer now.

Thank you :-)

> I'm a bit confused
>as to why the PR-related comments count as notices about when a mega-change
>actually hits -current.

It does not count as a notice but the code did not come totally out of
left field.  I was simply saying that most of the code was available
for review/comment for quite some time before it was applied to
-current.

> (Really, Matt should have done that.) If you had
>said "read source-changes", I could have no argument, but "read the PR and
>magically know when it got checked in" ... I dunno.

I didn't want to get into the Matt should have done this/Brett should
have done that scenario.  It would not be productive now because all
it would be doing would be shoving blame around.  I think we have all
learned a bit more now :-)

>Anyway, all's well that ends well, etc...

Yep - take care...