Subject: Re: /etc/rc with #!/bin/sh ?
To: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
From: Dave Burgess <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/22/1999 21:57:14
At 10:46 PM 6/14/99 -0300, you wrote:
>On Mon, Jun 14, 1999 at 05:20:14PM -0400, Andrew Brown wrote:
>> >Is there a good/historical reason that /etc/rc doesn't have
>> >a #!/bin/sh at the top?
>> >
>> >Would anyone mind if it did?
>> >
>> >newbox% file /etc/rc
>> >/etc/rc: English text
>>
>> for that matter...why not make it
>>
>>   #! basic system startup
>>
>> that way file can say "/etc/rc: commands text for basic system startup".
>
>Well, that might be worth considering. It doesn't happen to address
>the reason I noticed - I was trying 'vim', and it couldn't syntax
>highlight /etc/rc, cause it didn't know the filetype.

True, but we DO have the source for vim, and anything we could do to make
the basic startup files more understandable should be a good thing.
Besides, it IS kind of cool.

--
Dave Burgess                   Network Engineer - Nebraska On-Ramp, Inc.
*bsd FAQ Maintainer / SysAdmin for the NetBSD system in my spare bedroom