Subject: Re: CVS commit: src
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 06/18/1999 22:52:02
On Jun 3,  3:29pm, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
} On Thu, Jun 03, 1999 at 02:36:07AM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:

    Still catching up on old mail, but getting there...  :-)

} >      This is wrong.  ESDI drives respond to the IDENTIFY command, and
} > possibly other "ATA" commands.  ESDI is a superset of the original
} > WD1003 command set, and ATA is a superset of that.
}
} How does it anserw ? Does it just abort the command or does it report
} some sensible data ?

     It responded sensibly.

} I have a disk here which I believe is ESDI: is has a controller board with
} 3 cables: one shared by 2 drives and one which goes to each drive.
} It doesn't anserw to IDENTIFY (it just abort it). The BIOS "auto detect

     Then it is not ESDI.  As noted by somebody else, MFM/RLL used the
same cable arrangement, but they weren't electrically compatible.

} >      My old ESDI drive has died, so I can't get you a sample result,
} > but I have verified that it responds intelligently.
}
} Do you know what model it was ?

     I recently moved, so it is in a box somewhere.

}-- End of excerpt from Manuel Bouyer