Subject: Re: cheap RAID?
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/09/1999 13:49:00
: > The clients don't timeout. It's just that listing the contents of large
: > mailboxes (say, a sent-items mailbox) takes on the order of 2-3 minutes or
: > more for about 2000 messages. I know that having smaller mailboxes is the
: > obvious solution, but I don't want to have to start imposing on people's
: > methods of organizing mail.

If you're using imap-uw, this is because the IMAP server from UW is horribly
inefficient with large mailboxes.  Even for a mailbox listing, it creates
temporary storage for all that scanning, and can even copy the entire
mailbox to /tmp and back again for some IMAP commands.

It also has a problem with memory chewing.  It reads in a whole lot of data
for `caching' ... but that end up making the processes 30MB or more in size
for very large mailboxes.