Subject: Re: cheap RAID?
To: Edwin Foo <efoo@crl.dec.com>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 06/09/1999 08:52:31
Edwin Foo writes:
> I think I can get another 8gb EIDE disk without breaking the bank. My first
> step will probably be to move the drives to different IDE channels
> (currently they are both on the same channel). Is RAID 0 my next step after
> that? If so, is RAIDFrame a good idea, or should I look at the Promise EIDE
> RAID controller? Has anyone tried IDE RAID under NetBSD?

Yes.  A good chunk of the initial RAIDframe in NetBSD development was done
with IDE disks :)

As for whether you want ccd or RAIDframe, if you're doing just simple RAID 0,
then RAIDframe is typically overkill.  ccd will be *slightly* faster, and take
up way less space in the kernel.

> Or should I really just break the bad news and tell them that we need to
> spend lots of $$ on SCSI drives and a SCSI raid controller?

You might try moving the drives to different channels before you get any more
disk, just to see if that helps.

Later...

Greg Oster