Subject: Re: cheap RAID?
To: Edwin Foo <>
From: Daniel Brown <>
List: current-users
Date: 06/09/1999 14:45:52

> Or should I really just break the bad news and tell them that we need to
> spend lots of $$ on SCSI drives and a SCSI raid controller?

No comment on the raidframe side of things, but I can report good
results with a SCSI raid system using IDE disks. Pedestal systems
presenting as a single *large* SCSI disk come in at around GBP 3000 for
75 Gb of RAID 5, using commodity 25 Gb IDE disks.

Our source was, but they all seem to use similar

Daniel Brown, Cambridge Crystallographic Data Centre, 12, Union Road,
Cambridge, UK, CB2 1EZ.  Tel. +44 1223 336014  Fax. +44 1223 336033