Subject: Re: CVS commit: src
To: None <bouyer@netbsd.org, current-users@netbsd.org>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 06/03/1999 02:36:07
On Apr 11,  1:50pm, Manuel BOUYER wrote:

     Just clearing out old mail...

} Modified Files:
} 	src/sys/dev/ic: wdc.c wdcvar.h
} 	src/sys/dev/isa: wdc_isa.c
} Log Message:
} Fix probe code for IDE devices:
} - at attach time, use IDENTIFY to eliminate ghost from the probe. If the
} drive had the old flag and IDENTIFY failed, issue a WDCC_RECAL command
} to detect a pre-ATA disk. If IDENTIFY succeded, remove the OLD flag,
} it's obviously not a pre-ATA disk.

     This is wrong.  ESDI drives respond to the IDENTIFY command, and
possibly other "ATA" commands.  ESDI is a superset of the original
WD1003 command set, and ATA is a superset of that.

     My old ESDI drive has died, so I can't get you a sample result,
but I have verified that it responds intelligently.

}-- End of excerpt from Manuel BOUYER