Subject: Re: FDDI: PC/BIOS and MTU
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 06/01/1999 15:05:25
Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov> writes:
> Possibly, maybe we could just put it in the code that attaches devices
> to the PCI bus; as I understand it, devices which do NOT do bus mastering
> have this bit hard-wired to 0, so setting it doens't hurt anything.

Well, yes and no.  Some PCI slots are not capable of being bus masters
(don't know more details than that, but i've seen vendors say that
about some of their PCI slots), and if the BIOS does the right thing
then indeed, the OS setting it _does_ hurt something.

Of course, those cases should be few and far between (i hope).

cgd