Subject: Re: Memorex CD-RW drives...
To: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 06/01/1999 11:26:57
On Fri, May 28, 1999 at 11:26:11PM -0500, Brian C. Grayson wrote:

> My only difficulty has been that my CDRW goes into PIO
> mode rather than DMA mode, with two 20-second timeouts on the
> initial cd0 device use, where it claims that DMA won't work due
> to timeouts.

I've seen exactly this behaviour on both my box at home with its Memorex
drive (like yours) *and* at work with the HP 7200i. Two different motherboards,
two different drives, same code.

> Manuel has been looking into it some, but we're not sure yet whether it's
> due to my motherboard or the drive or something else.  :)

I can reliably reproduce this on both systems. One's an Asus motherboard,
and the other is some random silly brand.

> If you notice timeouts and /var/log/messages notes about
> "downgrading to PIO", contact me (or Manuel) privately, and I
> can fill you in on Manuel and my investigations so far.

I'd be happy to help.

--
                           /\
     Mason Loring Bliss   /()\   mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us