Subject: re: Upgrade bad for s/key login?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 06/01/1999 10:26:43
   On Fri, May 28, 1999 at 06:47:27PM +0100, Julian Coleman wrote:
   > Having upgraded from 1.3.2 to 1.4 (Sparc 4), I find that I can no longer
   > log in using s/key.   The one time password that I generated under 1.3.2
   > doesn't work under 1.4 (I'm stuck at 61).  I tried to generate a new
   > list under 1.4 and the one time password for challenge 61 is different from
   > the 1.3.2 one but still doesn't work.  Any thoughts? (Apart from generate
   > a new list when I'm back at the machine.)  Is s/key supposed to work through
   > upgrades?

   I tried on 1.3.3 and 1.4 i386 and sparc hosts.
   For the same skey sequence# and key (whith the same passwd of course :),
   sparc 1.3.3, sparc 1.4 and i386/1.4 gives the same result, but i386/1.3.3
   gives a dufferent one. Maybe a endian problem was fixed (I didn't notice it
   but as I don't use S/key I may well have missed it) ?

yes, a PR from greg oster was apply which removed some of the original
skey code that was imported that was doing byte switching...

actually, this fix appears to have been pulled into the 1.3.3 tree...
are you sure those are 1.3.3 or 1.3.2 or earlier?  it wasn't fixed in
1.3.2...

julian, the work around is to use a same-bytesex machine :)