Subject: Re: union filesystem problems
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/31/1999 11:54:41
Todd Vierling writes:
> On Mon, 31 May 1999, Dave Burgess wrote:
[...]
> : One thing that I haven't seen go by is the possibility of putting three or
> : four kernels into the kern.tgz file (a GENERIC IDE minimal kernel, a 'four
> : meg of memory' kernel, a FIREWALL kernel, and a ROUTER kernel, for example)
> : in the same way the X kernels are packaged.
>
> The thing is, the options any particular user would want in the latter three
> here can be wildly different.

This is where someone could develop a webpage/CGI combo that allows people
to have kernels and/or floppy images built for them, after selecting the
options on the webpage.  Have base options like FIREWALL/ROUTER/etc that
then have a few basic options, like what ethernet drivers, perhaps which
buses are needed, serial console or not, etc.

Where did the 'on the fly' kernel config generate go?? :)

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.