Subject: Re: union filesystem problems
To: Dave Burgess <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/31/1999 10:35:46
On Mon, 31 May 1999, Dave Burgess wrote:

: I was under the impression that the LINT kernel was the one that had every
: option under the sun (not SUN).

You're under the FreeBSD impression.

What I was proposing was a way to have the equivalent of a LINT kernel,
intended to be functional as well as compilable, and a `support most common
things' kernel, replacing GENERIC, on all ports via a macro-language-based
configuration.

: One thing that I haven't seen go by is the possibility of putting three or
: four kernels into the kern.tgz file (a GENERIC IDE minimal kernel, a 'four
: meg of memory' kernel, a FIREWALL kernel, and a ROUTER kernel, for example)
: in the same way the X kernels are packaged.

The thing is, the options any particular user would want in the latter three
here can be wildly different.