Subject: Re: Memorex CD-RW drives...
To: David Forbes <david@flossy.u-net.com>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 05/28/1999 23:26:11
On Fri, May 28, 1999 at 02:31:28PM +0100, David Forbes wrote:
> has anyone had any luck using these?  A shop down the road has
> CDRW-1622i at a silly price, but cdrecord in pkgsrc doesn't explicitly
> support them.  Is there any chance of it working just by similarity with
> other drives?

  This is exactly what I have (modulo the 'i'), on an i386 box:
cd0 at atapibus0 drive 1: <Memorex CRW-1622, AH1234567892123  L2, D4.0> type 5 cdrom removable

  So far, I've only played with it, but I was able to use
cdrecord to burn a short music segment and play it, and also
store a few MB's of files on it, and restore with no cksum
differences.  So it works, cdrecord's Linux-biased comments
notwithstanding!

  My only difficulty has been that my CDRW goes into PIO
mode rather than DMA mode, with two 20-second timeouts on the
initial cd0 device use, where it claims that DMA won't work due
to timeouts.  Manuel has been looking into it some, but we're
not sure yet whether it's due to my motherboard or the drive or
something else.  :)

  If you notice timeouts and /var/log/messages notes about
"downgrading to PIO", contact me (or Manuel) privately, and I
can fill you in on Manuel and my investigations so far.

  Good luck!

  Brian