Subject: Re: Alpha console weirdness
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org, efoo@crl.dec.com>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/26/1999 14:02:22
For now, I think the serial console will solve your problem. I would guess:

   1. The vga console has some subtle problem on alpha, perhaps an LP64
      problem, perhaps a byte store side effect, whatever...
-or-
   2. The Matrox card isn't really VGA compatible after reset, but requires
      that x86 bios extension code be run, and your SRM is either not
      interpreting it or not interpreting it well enough. I have no idea
      which SRM's interpret x86 boot rom code, perhaps they all do...
      I know some of them do it, and mainly for initializing VGA cards.

Either one is possible. I can test #1 for you with a random VGA card, though
not right now.  You could test it yourself, actually, if you are interested.
Possibly, issue #2 would complicate such a test.

	Ross.Harvey@Computer.Org